Our 2014 CPP Study Group (SG) begins Tuesday, March 11th and ends Tuesday, June 10th. The SG is being hosted by our friends at the Grand Victoria Casino in Elgin. Many thanks to Chicago Chapter member Dave Ryan, Director of Security, Grand Victoria Casino, for inviting and hosting us!
Background: My primary goal was to secure a centrally located venue for our Chicago and suburban members. Unfortunately, I was unable to find that ideal spot.
So Plan B is we're splitting the SG into two locations. We'll do the first half of the SG at the Elgin GV, and six weeks later (April 22nd), we'll move to a Downtown location (more details to follow).
Below is a description of the SG and why it's a great (and free) opportunity to help you prep and pass the CPP, PCI, and/or PSP.
CPP Study Group Overview:
- The study group method is a simple and effective study technique.
- Our SG provides attendees the opportunity to participate in an informal, practical, and educational learning environment.
- The SG is effective because participants interact directly with like-minded individuals who possess various security-related experience, knowledge, and expertise.
- Attendees also learn how to use the POA and other source materials to prepare for the rigorous, stressful, and challenging real exams.
- Attendees discover new and effective study methods and techniques CPPs, PSPs and PCIs have used to prep for and pass their tests.
- Attendees also learn which techniques are less effective for passing the test.
- Each attendee is assigned multiple, security-related topics to present during the SG.
- Attendees prepare and present to the class a 15-20 minute power point presentation to fellow attendees.
- During their presentations, attendees also create 20 questions and answers (per topic) from their assigned materials to share with the rest of the SG. (Consider this a "potluck" version of building a test Q&A bank.)
- These new questions and answers are pooled together (by me) to create multiple practice examinations for attendees to use during the remainder of their CPP exam prep.
- CPPs, PSPs, and PCIs will also attend the SG and give presentations and answers questions about their experiences prepping for the exam.
- Participating in the SG is like "pre-season football, baseball, or hockey" for test takers. Let's be honest, it's been a while since some of us have been in school or prepped for a serious exam. The SG gradually improves your study, concentration skills, and test-taking habits over time.
- The SG also allows you to network with others who have passed (and failed) the CPP, allowing you to learn from their experiences.
- ASIS exams are challenging and intense. Few are able to pass the test without serious preparation. I equate it to successfully running a marathon. It takes six months of prep to run 26 miles- and not die after crossing the finish line.
- The SG offers the same benefit. Using the SG helps you ID your strong and weak areas.
- Participating in the SG gradually and consistently improves your test taking abilities and self confidence.
- Taking the practice tests gives you instant feedback on your progress and prep methods.
- Also, the more "real-world" practice tests you take before your real exam reduces your test day anxiety, stress, and panic. Think of it like a "dress rehearsal."
There is no cost for attendance, parking or materials. Note: Attendees must have their 2014 Chicago Chapter dues paid ($20).
Study Group details:
- When: Tuesdays, March 11th to April 22nd. (April 29th we move to Downtown Chicago to June 10th).
- Time: 6p-8p
- Where: Grand Victoria Casino Banquet Room, 250 S. Grove, Elgin (10 minutes from I-90 and Route 31). 20 Miles west of Woodfield Mall (I90 and I290).
- Cost: No cost if Chapter dues are paid.
- Materials needed: Computer, Microsoft Powerpoint or (Keynote for Mac)
- Access to POA will be granted to paid members via Chicago Chapter.
- Skype access (Pending. More details to follow...)
FYI: This is the only free SG in the Chicago region this year. Seating is reserved and limited.
Register today. To reserve your place, reply to me via email with your name and contact number.
***Also Seeking CPP, PSP, and PCI Presenters***
CPPs, PSPs, and PCIs volunteers are needed to present and talk about their prep methods and exam war stories. Presenters will receive CEUs (and a high five from Pj). Please contact me if yon can assist us. Contact me at: 224.238.7848